If you are looking to improve your oral hygiene habits beyond just brushing and flossing, you can also take the time to look at any hidden dangers in your life that could potentially spell disaster for your teeth and gums. Our team wants to help you spot the dangers you could face, and take the necessary preventative steps.
Protecting your smile includes protecting yourself from both internal and external dangers. Listed below are five commonplace things that can wreak havoc on your smile:
– Tongue piercings may seem chic and cool for many but a single wrong move could spell disaster for your lips, teeth, and gums. Metal objects can break loose and become choking risks or chip and crack your teeth.
– If you play any sports or are involved in thrilling stunts, always make sure to wear a mouth guard or facemask. A single crack to the head can easily knock out multiple teeth or fracture your jaw.
– Chewing on your nails could potentially chip or crack your teeth, not to mention the added risk of all sorts of bad bacteria and germs being introduced to your mouth.
– Never try to open things with your teeth. This is an easy way to give yourself an oral injury and fracture or crack a few teeth.
– Bruxism, which is an illness where you unconsciously grind your teeth, can slowly wear down your teeth over time. Our dentist and team can offer treatment plans for bruxism.
If you need to schedule an appointment with Dr. Thomas E. Wold at our office in Bend, Oregon, please call us at 541.389.1301. We would love to assist you with all your oral health care needs!